Photo: Diamonds Are Forever 1971 Danjaq, LLC, & United Artists Corporation. All rights reserved
Diamonds Are Forever Gadgets
La Bombe Surprise
In a final attempt on Bond’s life, as he heads back to good old Blighty on a cruise ship with Tiffany Case, Mr Wint and Mr Kidd, posing as a cute little room service sommelier and waiter pairing, attempt to treat 007 with Oysters Andaluz, [flaming] Shish Kebabs, and the piece de resistance, a Bombe Surprise.
“What’s in it?” Asks Tiffany.
“But then there would be no surprise.” Replies Mr Wint.
You somehow get the impression that on occasion, the writers think up a good joke first and make a film scene of it afterwards.
It is actually a domed meringue looking shell with an ‘explosive filling’. As Mr Wint quickly learns.
1) Heat the oven to 180C or gas mark 4
2) Place a sheet ov greasproof paper over a baking sheet
3) Whisk the egg whites until they just form stiff peaks in a bowl
4) Add sugar a couple of tablespoons at a time and whisk really well between each addition. Continue to whisk into stiff peaks
5) Add the cornflour and vinegar and continue to whick
6) Spoon the mixture onto the greaseproof paper, forming a circle of around 20cm in diameter
7) Turn the oven temperature down to 120C and cook for one and a half hours
8) Leave to cool
9) Add your topping by mixing the vanilla pod seeds, the cream and lemon zest before spreading atop the meringue
10) Place the berries neatly around the top of the mixture and gently dust with icing sugar