Photo: From Russia With Love 1963 Danjaq, LLC, & United Artists Corporation. All rights reserved
From Russia With Love Gadgets
Deadly Attache Case
The gadgets come thick and fast in FRWL and next up is the pager and car telephone combo. It’s all fairly rudimentary, but you can be assured that no-one in your street had one back in 1963.
After this the fun really starts, with the introduction of the Legend that is Q, and his marvellous briefcase of tricks. Desmond Llewelyn’s first outing sees him unveil what is still perhaps the premium gadget of all schoolboy dreams. It’s all backpacks and retro 1970s bags for the kids these days, but if they could have a briefcase like this, the stores would see lines around the block. Here is a quick run-down:
1) 20 rounds of ammunition at either end of the base.
2) A flat throwing knife that pops out of the side.
3) A .25 AR-7 folding sniper’s rifle – that should sort out a few problems.
4) And don’t forget the infra-red telescopic sight, just in case the baddie makes a run for it.
5) 50 gold sovereigns hidden behind straps.
6) For the best bit, we will pass you over to Q: “Now, watch very carefully. An ordinary tin of talcum powder. Inside, a tear gas cartridge.” It’s even magnetised.
7) To activate the sneaky talc bomb, you just need to flip the catches on the briefcase horizontally.
A More Modern Briefcase
Unfortunately, neither of the above come with talcum powder, flick knives or gold sovereigns. You could ask the retailer if they come as optional extras, but you should be prepared for a reply that includes a certainly level of bew