Photo: Tomorrow Never Dies 1997 Danjaq, LLC, & United Artists Corporation. All rights reserved
Tomorrow Never Dies Gadgets
There was a time when the producers would have to go with both cap in hand and cheque book to car manufacturers for their Bond vehicles. By the time of Tomorrow Never Dies, manufacturers were falling over themselves to provide as many as they wanted. The cache of a car in a Bond movie was arguably the best marketing available to them.
This time, it’s a BMW 750i, and it’s as loaded as any Bond car.
An example of the equipment available to any 1997 BMW 750i owner would be: A dual electronic engine-management system with one-touch starting, adaptive knock control and electronic throttles, plus of course, multi-function display controls including audio system, multi-function clock, ventilation system and on-board computer.
This would sound like Q Branch wizardry to a 1960s 007, but the car was so equipped and technologically advanced it seems almost unnecessary to mention Q’s added extras. Oh, go on then...
1) Bullet and sledgehammer proof windows, as standard for spy vehicles
2) A dent-resistant exterior, presumably because of Bond’s track record of bashing up Q Branch vehicles
3) Electrocution bodywork. Best not to touch it
4) Gas emission wheel arches – if people still insisted on getting too close
5) Self-deflating and re-inflating tires
6) There were eight missiles in the sunroof
7) There was a handy wire cutter located under the bonnet badge - it couldn't possibly work, but it was incredibly successful in the wonderful world of movies
8) An automated caltrops dispenser – handy for bursting the tires of pursuing cars
9) A Roof top missile launcher, with 12 missiles
10) Forward firing machine guns
11) GPS Tracking System
12) A remote control by which the vehicle could be driven (see below)
13) And of course, an integrated English speaking (with a German accent, for some reason) computer which regularly reminds the absent minded spies to fasten their safety belts
© Copyright 2013 The Legend of Q
You can send us an email to the address below, or if you would like to be kept up to date with the latest Gadgets, Devices, Technology and articles, just fill in the contact form on the right (your email address will not be spammed)